Wednesday, July 11, 2007

You NEVER Want the ER Staff to be Nice to You

LESSONS I HAVE LEARNED LATELY:
So the moral of my medical story is . . .
You do not want the ER staff to be nice to you. Ever.

To go back to the beginning, PAIN.

Any of you who have ever had a Migraine will vouch that they can be the most painful things in the world (and I have had 3 REALLY long labors, so I am speaking with some authority on the subject). I, among millions, suffer from chronic migraines, but when the pain gets too intense, and the medications they prescribe aren't enough, the hospital can help.

So there I am, flying down the highway in Todd's brand new car, puking out the window as he rushes to the hospital. How terribly glamorous. He arrives, drops me at the ER door, and goes to park.

Cape Fear Valley Hospital serves Fayetteville, the 4th largest city in the state of NC. This is NOT a small hospital. As I stagger forward, I make note of the fact that the line for the ER stretches out the door. All I can think about is the cool medicinal relief that awaits inside. One of the helpful volunteer workers rushes a wheelchair out to me (do I really look that much worse than everyone else in this line?) and hustles me inside.

So, you can't hold a decent conversation while crying. Sobbing is even worse. I was wheeled directly to the nurse's station (certainly I couldn't look as bad as all that, could I?) and my temperature and BP measured. Todd finally returns to translate my sobbing answers to the helpful nurse, and he informs her that the parking lot for ER is overflowing. Wow, what a great day to have a migraine.

Our nurse recommends a CT scan. So we wait in the hallway of the ER for our turn. To my joy, I get to hold my vomit in my portable container, while listening to a drunk homeless veteran blame all the world's ills on all those "Damn New York Yankees."

LIGHTS. DRUNK GUY SCREAMING. PAIN. Oh, im gonna be sick again.

It takes about 15 minutes to get me my CT scan. Todd watches over the technician's shoulder as he mutters "hmmm, that's strange." You never want to be strange, in the ER.

I get wheeled into the back, and the nurse (who suddenly became very nice) has a hurried conversation with the attending. I see them gesture urgently, then kick someone else out of the only trauma room in the ER ~ an honest to god room with solid walls and no sheet dividers. All four ER doctors on the whole floor come into my room. A doc even ran my IV.

The ER Doctors smiled at me reassuringly. It was then I realized: you DO NOT want ER Docs to be nice to you. You want them to be brash, dissatisfied with the importance of your injury. You WANT them to walk away shaking their head at you for wasting their time.

To make an ER doctor feel truly useful, one must have something sufficiently wrong with them to warrent their attention. You know, an eyeball popped out, a limb chopped off. . . or blood in your brain. They were thrilled.

To make a long story short, after calling in Neurosurgeons and Cardiologists, they sent me to Intensive Care, which is a whole different story.

1 comment:

Robin Trombley said...

Hey Grace,
if there is anyone who can truly relate to what you’re going through, it's probably me. Well, even after 5 seizures, 2 angiograms, 3 CT scans, 5 MRI scans, not being able to drive for 8 months, tons of rehabilitation for my right side, and 2 brain surgeries... I'm still alive and kickin. If I can beat the odds, so can you.

I have 2 suggestions for you during this horrible pause in your life (I say pause because it is in no way over).

First, let people be there for you. Many people care about you and want to be there for you. I know that I found it nice to get out of the house, do something active, and not talk about my brain problems at all. My worst times occurred when I was left alone with my thoughts. My friends provided me with temporary escapes from my troubles, which helped keep me sane. In short... whenever possible, see your friends and family and live as if nothing were wrong.

My second suggestion would to be to write frequently during this time period. Knowing that you have been reflecting on so many different things, I know that there’s no way you’re going to be able to remember all of the little revelations you've had. Write, write, write. The things you're feeling, going through, and reflecting on will (hopefully) never happen again. That being said, learn from it and write it all down so that it can never be truly forgotten. "Whatever doesn't kill you only makes you stronger." I hate that saying... but every now and then, it sings true. It did for me, and I think it can for you too. It’s amazing how much we can learn and grow through strife.

So, speaking as a true teacher, be safe and study hard.
You are missed,
Robin